Chateaubriand Fellowship - Humanities & Social Sciences (HSS)
Please make sure you are on the right sub-program. See www.chateaubriand-fellowship.org for more information.
HSS Chateaubriand is a fellowship program offered by the Cultural Services of the French Embassy in the US.
It targets outstanding Ph.D. students from American universities who seek to engage in research in France, in any discipline of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
HSS Chateaubriand fellows are selected through a merit-based competition, through a binational collaborative process involving expert evaluators from both countries.
HSS Chateaubriand grantees are applicants who answer the program’s criteria of excellence and whose sojourn in France will support the program’s philosophy. The HSS Chateaubriand fellowship program’s purpose is to foster bilateral cooperation at Ph.D. and research level, and to build and strengthen bridges between our two nations.
- Candidates must be currently working on their Ph.D.
- Candidates do not have to be U.S. citizens, but they must be enrolled in an American university. However, French citizens are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates must obtain a letter of recommendation from their advisor(s) in the U.S., as well as a letter of invitation from a professor affiliated with a French university or research institution. Please be in touch with your supervisor in France as early as possible. The history of the research relationship will be taken into account in the review process.
- There are three types of fellowships:
> Fall Fellowship : 4 months, starts October 1st.
> Spring Fellowship : 4 months, starts February 1st.
> Year-long Fellowship : 8 months, starts October 1st.
- Applicants' preference will be taken into account but not necessarily accommodated.
- All application materials are due on January 14th for the following fellowship year.
HSS Chateaubriand fellows receive :
- A monthly stipend of 1500 €
- Health insurance for the entire duration of the fellowship
- a round-trip ticket to France with welcome package
Each application receives two evaluations : one from a French scholar, the other from an American scholar.
The candidates' applications and their scholars' recommendations are then reviewed by a final selection committee.
The criteria taken into account include :
- Academic Relevance of the Research Project
- Beneficial Effects of a Research Trip to France
- Student's command of the subject
- Contribution of the Project to the Global France/US Academic Exchange Context
In order to access and complete the electronic application, please follow the steps below.
- Create an account.
- Sign in with the user name and password sent to you via email.
- Complete the application and upload the necessary attachments (Note that you can save your application as you go and return to complete it at a later time).
- Submit your completed application. You will not be able to change your data after final submission.
- Make sure that you receive an email confirming that your application has been saved.